Food preparation workers should follow these simple steps to make sure the eggs they are preparing are safe to eat.
- Follow an approved sanitation programme whenever food is prepared and don’t compromise it by taking short cuts.
- Wash your hands with hot, soapy water every time food is prepared.
- Use only sanitized utensils, equipment and work areas even if they have just been used for another food.
- Wash and sanitize utensils used for eggs before reusing, even if for another egg dish.
- Never mix any shell with raw eggs.
- Use only clean uncracked eggs.
- Don’t wash eggs before using them – this is done for you ahead of purchase.