Start with this base using a frozen pie shell or make your own pastry. Simply add a variety of filling options. Serve with a green salad for a light meal.
Preheat oven to 375°F(190°C).
Place pie crust on a baking sheet. Spread filling ingredients in pie shell.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over filling.
Whisk eggs and evaporated milk in medium bowl. Pour mixture over filling.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
To prebake pie shell: Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line frozen shell with foil (making sure edges are covered) and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Place on cooling rack, lift out foil and pie weights and cool.
Tip: Place quiche on baking sheet for easier handling.
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh, canned (drained) or frozen (thawed) corn,
- ¾ cup (175 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese,
- ¼ cup (50 mL) finely chopped onion, and
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley.
- 6 slices crumbled crisp bacon,
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Swiss cheese,
- ¼ cup (60 mL) minced green onion,
- ¼ cup (60 mL) each green and red pepper strips,
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg, and
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) dry mustard.
- 1 cup (250 mL) sautéed sliced mushrooms,
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese, and
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thym.
Shrimp or Crab Quiche:
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked shrimp or crabmeat,
- ¾ cup (175 mL) shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese,
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped onion,
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped green pepper, and
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried tarragon.
Ham and Cheese Quiche:
Omit pie shell. Spray pie or quiche pan with cooking spray. Line with crustless bread slices.
- ¾ cup (175 mL) shredded Swiss cheese,
- ¾ cup (175 mL) diced cooked ham,
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped red or green bell pepper, and
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped fresh chives.
Omit pie shell. Spray a 9-inch (23 cm) square pan with cooking spray.
- 1 pkg (350 g) frozen chopped broccoli (thawed and well drained),
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) shredded Swiss cheese and
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard.
Prepare quiche in 3 x ¾ inch (8 x 2 cm) tart shells. Or use slices of whole wheat bread as shells. Trim crusts from bread, then spread bread lightly with butter. Place buttered side down into muffin cups, pressing firmly. Bake in preheated 325°F (160°C) oven for 10 minutes. Remove and spoon filling ingredients. Then pour egg and milk mixture carefully over top allowing it to be partially absorbed, then adding more. Bake until puffed and golden, 16 to 18 minute. (If edges brown before quiche is set, cover with aluminium foil.)
Makes about 24 mini quiches.