5 Facts about Eggs You May Not Have Known!
Most of us love eggs and they are a staple in our homes. After reading this list you may just have a few new reasons to love eggs.
1. That’s fewer calories than a slice of bread. Two eggs or one Canada’s Food Guide serving provides just 7% of your “calorie budget” based on a typical 2000 calorie day.
2. With 14 key nutrients, eating an egg is what you call getting a big bang for your, “calorie buck”. There’s a lot of goodness packed into an egg.
3. Yes, the yolk! So enjoy the entire egg to get all that hunger-curbing protein.
4. Don’t short change yourself on all those nutrients, enjoy the entire egg. Worried about fat? There are just 5 grams per egg or about what you’d find in a glass of 2% milk. Curious about cholesterol and heart health? Read on.
5. In a study that followed more than 100,000 men and women for 14 years (1), and in another study that followed 9,500 men and women for 20 years (2), eating 7 eggs per week did not increase the risk of stroke or heart disease in healthy adults.
- Hu FB, et al. A prospective study of egg consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease in men and women. JAMA 1999;281:1387-1394.
- Qureshi Al, et al. Regular egg consumption does not increase the risk of stroke and cardiovascular diseases. Med Sci Monit 2007;13(1):CR1