One of the healthiest habits you can adopt is to cook and eat more meals at home using simple, nutrient-rich whole foods, like eggs. They’re easy to prepare, delicious and versatile.
Working together with Registered Dietitians Shannon Crocker (@shancrockerRD) and Carol Harrison (@greatmealideas) we’ve come up with six ways eggs promote health. Check them out below!
- Eggs Naturally Nourish Eggs are a naturally nutrient-rich whole food, with protein and 13 other vitamins and minerals that are important for optimal health.
- Eggs Beat Hunger Snack on two eggs for 12 grams of hunger-curbing protein. They’ll help you beat an afternoon energy crash and stay satisfied longer.
- Eggs Fuel with Heart-Healthy Fats Eggs can be part of a heart-healthy diet. In fact, they have the same healthy fats found in olive oil, avocado and almonds.
- Eggs Help Build Healthy Brains Egg yolks are one of the best food sources of choline, a nutrient that is vital for brain health.
- Eggs Maximize Muscles Eating protein-packed eggs after a workout helps to build muscle. Eat the whole egg – half of the protein is in the yolks.
- Eggs Boost Eye Health Eggs have two antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin, that help keep your eyes healthy.
Check out the many ways you can incorporate eggs into your lifestyle without adding any hassle to meal prep or more time spent in the kitchen!
Fast & Fabulous Dinners
When you’re crunched for time, try making #Brinner (breakfast for dinner); Egg stuffed sweet potatoes or DIY tacos. You can top egg tacos with charred corn kernels, sliced avocado, cilantro and hot sauce.
Top Your Toast
For a delicious boost of protein post workout, top your whole-grain toast with eggs. Try one of these easy recipes: Avocado Egg Toast, Ricotta Egg Toast or an ELT (Egg, Lettuce, Tomato) Toast. Remember that half the egg’s protein is in the yolk, so go ahead and eat the yolk.
Eggs & veggies make a great team, so go ahead and make your own power bowl at home, and top it with two eggs. Try one of these three nourishing bowls:
- Southwest Power Bowl: Two hard cooked eggs + black beans + sliced avocado + shredded red cabbage + sliced cherry tomatoes + a favourite grain (barley, brown rice, farro, quinoa) + a splash of citrusy vinaigrette
- Asian Veggie Bowl: Two soft-poached eggs + stir-fried veggies + brown rice noodles + shredded carrot + diced red pepper + slivered green onion + a drizzle of peanut sauce or your favourite Asian sauce
- Egg Bliss Bowl: Two hard cooked eggs + barley + shredded kale + chopped apple + crumbled feta cheese + grated beets + roasted pecans +dried cranberries + a swirl of garlicky dressing
To beat the 3 p.m. slump and energize your afternoon, snack on protein-packed, calorie-conscious eggs. Keep some Muffin Tin Frittatas on hand, snack on some Avocado Egg Salad or some Protein Grab & Go of two hard cooked eggs and some fresh-cut veggies.
Pro-Tip: Make a carton of hard-cooked eggs and store them in the fridge. In their shells, they keep for up to a week!
For more details check out Naturally Nourish with Real Food: Delicious Ways to Power your Day with Eggs!