Teach Kids to Cook this Summer With These Easy Recipes!
Need ideas to keep busy these last few weeks of summer? After paying for camps and a summer holiday you may be looking for fun, free things to do. Why not use some of those lazy days to plan, shop and cook a snack or a meal together? As a dietitian and parent, I can talk about nutrients in food forever but if kids don't learn how to cook those foods, really what's the point?! Here are some tips I've learned along the way:
- Start simple. Try cooking with eggs. Get ideas below.
- Get organized ahead of time. Kids get bored fast.
- Keep it positive. Expect a mess and mistakes.
- Think safety. Always supervise your child.
- Offer feedback. “Good job cracking that egg.”
- Give your child a task. We learn better by doing than watching.
- Don’t rush. Give yourself more time than you think you’ll need.
- Make it social. Invite a friend over.
- Clean up, fun? Play music. Wiggle while you work!
- Do it again! Make a plan to cook again soon.
Egg-cellent Recipes Kids Can Make: Egg burger, Pizza omelette, Egg filled tortilla cups. Carol