Devilled eggs are back in style and with new flavour twists on this quick and easy-to-make appetizer, you’ll want to bring them to your next pot luck this festive season. Unleash your culinary creativity. While mayonnaise and mustard is a great stand-by combo to mix in with the egg yolks, how about adding crab meat, smoked salmon, olives or jalapenos.
Bonus: You can make devilled eggs ahead of time. In fact, you can hard-cook eggs and they’ll keep for a week in the fridge (leave the shell on).
Impress your guests without spending a bundle. Eggs are always one of the best buys in the grocery store, another plus, especially this time of the year!
Wondering if devilled eggs are a healthy choice? The hunger-curbing protein in eggs may just make them one of the top healthy choices at the potluck buffet table. Stick to ¼ cup (60 ml) mayonnaise per 12 eggs. That works out to just 1 tsp (5 ml) mayonnaise per devilled egg.
For beautiful devilled eggs follow these tips:
- Use older eggs. The shell peels off easily leaving a smooth egg white.
- To avoid the greenish ring, check out the perfect way to hard-cook an egg.
- Pipe the filling. It’s an extra step but quick and easy to do. The results are worth it!
- Garnish your eggs. One thin sliver of a vegetable or herb will do the trick: green onions, red onions, red cabbage, yellow pepper, carrot, parsley, dill or olives.
- Think presentation. Set the eggs over a colourful napkin and fill the platter with parsley, curly lettuce, grape tomatoes or baby carrots.
Devilled eggs 7 ways:
- Basic Devilled Eggs
- Curried Devilled Eggs
- Devilled Eggs with Crab Meat
- Zippy Devilled Eggs
- Smoked Salmon Devilled Eggs
- Devilled Eggs with Shrimp & Olives
- Herbed Devilled Eggs
Lastly, make your devilled eggs the talk of your party. It's superbowl season, so why not dress your devilled eggs the part? Using cut up chives and a pair of kitchen scissors, make your devilled eggs look like footballs! Its fun and delicious, what more could you want!?